Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Return of Trek...Star Trek that is!

For my readers I sincerely apologize for my absence been busy working away trying to make ends meet.

RATING :> HIGH FIVE


As you all know the new Star Trek movie came out in May with a new younger cast and an edgy look and most predominately headlined by producer/writer/director JJ Abrams. JJ Abrams for those who don't know is the mastermind behind TVs Alias and Lost. But this is not a review on how well to stroke JJ Abrams, it’s actually on whether or not the new Star Trek lives up to its legacy and beyond.

For those who have not seen the movie I would try to keep some major plot points in the wraps but still deliver a proper filmTrace review. What is a proper filmTrace review well I don’t base my rating on little stars I simplify it to three ratings: High Five, Hand Shake, and The Finger. HighFive, as in you just got so into it that you want to hit someone. The HandShake, is when you were into it but really didn’t feel as if I need to HighFive it. That leaves the Finger. This is when you are left with either a WTF stare or were seriously disappointed as in the way you felt after Indy 4. With that out of the way let’s proceed with this brief overlook of Star Trek.

For starters let me say that the opening of the movie is gripping especially when you realize that Kirk is not James but his dad! You'll see what I mean when you take a look at it. So, we have this huge pointy ship come through a supposedly worm hole or black hole or time portal thing-y (I gave away too much, sorry disregard that last one) that makes the Enterprise look like a bee trying to sting a porcupine. The scale of it is very impressive and I really enjoyed the fact that one little bee's sting can hurt for a long time (you'll find out later when you watch the movie).

The cast for me was a bit young but then again it’s Hollywood and you have to put in pretty young faces or else NOONE will go see your movie. I bet the oldest guys on the set were the Cap Peck guy and the forgotten Bruce Banner now playing a Romulan. I'm so glad his life was not ruined by Mr. Electro again...Anyway my favorite characters were Elmor playing McCoy and Syler playing Spock. Simply remarkable. Well Shawn of the Dead was not bad as Scotty either but they waited too long to bring him in if you ask me. Oh one more thing, can anybody tell me what’s the deal with Future Spock’s teeth (oh dear I really slipped now, damn I hope you still want to see the movie)?

Furthermore let me say that apart from some of the Huh??? moments, I really think Mr. Abrams and the writers captured the essence of the characters we grew up loving and that my friends is why we return to watch again and again. We want to see what Kirk and the gang get into and how they working together get out of it. In fact to quote a very good friend of mine "Going back and watching the Original Series now has made me appreciate the new movie even more." Bravo Mr Abrams and crew.

Enjoy

Carlos

PS. Oh and was it me or did the camera guy/person keep forgetting not to point the camera into the light. I mean come on how many times can the guy/person do that before the DP hangs him with a focus puller cord. Maybe he did it so many times that they decided to make it part of the film. Its like "damn, Charlie did it again what now?"

5 comments:

  1. Well It's about time! I haven't seen any movies in a while becuase I've been hermiting and waiting for the Carloozian reviews...
    Ha!...you said Stroke. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You understood what I meant by that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this movie was pretty good, however the actor who played Kirk failed to convince me that he was the same Kirk we grew to love on the original series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to watch it again to get the full effect.

    ReplyDelete